I rose in the Legislature this afternoon to address Ontario’s education crisis and tomorrow’s job action by OSSTF and ETFO members.
Here are the following facts in my address to the House today:
• In 13 years Ontario’s public education system has declined by over 100,000 students, yet there are 20,000 more teachers and staff;
• In just 10 years per pupil spending has increased to over 13 thousand per year, an increase of 39%;
• Wages and benefits now comprise 78% of the education budget;
• Secondary students receiving special-ed support has risen to 27%;
• Educational scores have declined, while Alberta, BC & Quebec have better outcomes; and
• Violence in our schools puts everyone at risk.